Friday, June 18, 2010

GOOD EaTZ!

As I walk through the bustling streets of Philly, I pass a special performance high school everyday. Almost everyday I notice an extreme amount of over-weight African- American children, and it got me to thinkin'. "What the hell are they eating!" So I started on a journey to figure out why our children seem to be so pleasingly plump. What I found was that it really is not their fault, it is their parent's fault. When I was a child I ate fast food frequently because my mom worked very often and late hours, and it took a toll on my body; not to mention young black girls are already predisposed to being "thick". After one year of living with my dad in Texas, I have never allowed myself to become out of shape.

My father told me once as he made me run 2miles in sweltering Texas heat, "Nobody wants to marry a fat black woman", and I was appalled at the statement. (I was 10) However, I am in slight agreement . Why would anyone want to marry someone who is already young and unhealthy and will likely promote those same habits in their children's lives? Maybe he likes her a lot, and maybe she is super thick with a cute face, but dammit she needs to be healthy!

Many black mothers, like my own, have busy stressful lives with little time to cook healthy full course meals. However, it is imperative that they start. So instead of walking around talking about how fat kids and their mothers happen to be, I am going to start by cooking healthy for me and mine. Thus, starting today I subscribed to Clean Eating, a book full of really healthy and flavorful foods. Tomorrow I am going to the Farmers market to get fresh produce without all the hormones and steroids , and I will be cooking healthy in my house from this day forward.

I expect to help my mother better her health and get in better shape, and I expect to see the same results for me and my fiance! I am excited :) As our first lady pushes children to exercise and ward off obesity, I am too! I want all African -American children to be healthy and happy because it effects appearance, emotions,and health. More importantly, I want Black women to get healthy because you are what you eat, and many of us have been eatin' that PIG!


Peace Queens

No comments:

Post a Comment